Friday, May 16, 2008

Park Day...well almost everyday is park day!




Sister trying to ride Corbin's scooter. "Anything He Can Do.....I AM GOING TO TRY!"
I love my BUBBA!
Emma and Alex came to the park with us! YEAH!




Push me higher Dada!








This picture of Chloe is so funny to me! She just started really cheesing it up when you get the camera out. Chloe Dawn loves, loves, loves to swing and go down slides.


So it was a pretty day this past weekend and we usually play outside either at the park or outside with neighbors. This day our Daddy got to go with us....which is always more fun.

Some of Corbin's friends have begun to "TRY" to ride their bikes with no training wheels, so Corbin and Daddy gave it a good try today with Alex's bike. It was fun to try and Corbin knows it is going to take a lot of practice. Corbin's bike is kinda big and heavy. He said today, "I just want to ride my bike the old regular way for a while!" So I don't think we are going to rush the "no training wheels" thing yet! :)

He may not be ready to grow up physically, but he sure is growing up before our eyes. Corbin has begun to READ!!! He is really doing amazing, it is just one of his gifts. Since he was a baby he has always been interested in letters. He would rather me quiz him on letter sounds, rhyming words, and play sound words out then try to ride with no training wheels. Okay...Okay...Okay, maybe he doesn't love it THAT much....but it does seem to be of an interest. Last night he read, Pet and the Vet and Pig's Big Rig for the first time all on his own. Yes, Yes, Yes....they are not novels, they are word family rhyming words from when I use to teach, but he does a good job sounding the words out. But in our family we are calling him a reader! :) He loves when we call him that.

He took a different easy reader book to bed with him and got out 3 times so we could help him with a word...that may not be a good idea! :) He asked, "I am a reader, even though I have to ask for help?" I said, "Well sure, Mama even has to ask for help every now and then!" He just laughed at me like I was crazy. I may be asking him for help soon!

We have been talking a lot about how he is not starting Kindergarten until he is 6. (side note.....I totally think he would do great in Kindergarten at 5, but David and I think it will be best for his confidence and self esteem in the future if he was one of the older ones in his grade than the baby. More for emotional/social reasons. This coming from David....who was always the small one in his class. Yes, I am still praying for confidence for the Mama that I am making the right decision) Anyway, Corbin said, "Wow, I am not even in Kindergarten and I can learn how to read!" He then said, "Do you know some kids think the word and is at?" They have sight words they learn at school and I guess some kids (which makes total sense) get and/at confused. We then talked about how every child tries there best and he maybe could encourage his friends if they confuse and/at. Like saying good try. He then said, "Yeah, and then telling them the word is actually AND!" He is a mess, but it sure is a fun time to see him so excited and self driven to learn to read. He has such a joy of learning.....I pray that will always be the case and I pray that David and I can foster and encourage his joy of learning!

No comments: